Monday, April 12, 2010

Comments4Teachers Weeks 13-14

I was assigned to comment on John Spencer's Blog. I'm very glad I was assigned to his blog because he has some WONDERFUL things to say. The post I read for the first week was called "What Kids Can Teach Us About Community." I loved what he had to say! There is so much we can learn from children, and making friends is at the top of the list. Children rarely judge. They classify everyone they know as a friend. They do not understand "acquaintance" or "co-worker." They have fun together, and they do not suppress their feelings. Sometimes it's better to get your feelings out. Grudges and gossip do not make for pleasant relationships. We all need to open our eyes to what we can learn from children.

This week, my post for John Spencer's blog was on a topic determining the different loves he has for his children and his students. I really liked this post because it's an issue I foresee myself having in the classroom. I become very attached to children, and I know that once I see these children 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I am going to develop a bond with them. I may see some of these children more than their parents do. This is going to make me want to act somewhat like a parent to them, but Mr. Spencer broke it down very simply. The love of a teacher and the love of a parent are very different, but both are very important. I want to be a loving teacher that truly cares about my students. I don't want to focus on them passing my class. I want to focus on them succeeding in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment