Monday, March 15, 2010

Technology of Today

TimeToast

I used Timetoast to create a timeline of the life of Disney's Mickey Mouse. I'm a huge Disney fan so I thought this would be an interesting topic for experimenting with Timetoast. It's such as easy website to use, and it helps you get organized. You could create a timeline for any subject. These could be used in presentations or to study for a test. You may view my timeline below.



Skype
I use Skype quite often to talk to high school friends who moved away for college. It's a great and easy way to keep it touch, and it's much more personal than texting or a phone call. I had to buy a separate camera because my laptop is older and did not come with one. My camera works very well, and it has a microphone so everything I need is all together. I enjoy using Skype. It's communication for the future. For this assignment, I skyped with my friend who is attending the University of Miami. It was a great way to catch up with each other rather than just calling or Facebook chatting. It was much more personal.

Vocaroo

Vocaroo is a voice recording system that allows you to record something and post it to the internet or send it in an email. It's a cool idea because a person can listen to you instead of reading an email. It's similar to an answering machine on a telephone in that it's a voice recording that can be listened to at the convenience of the person receiving it. They can save it and listen to it repeatedly if necessary.


Try it out on your own!!





Powered by Vocaroo


Google Survey

My Google survey was about cell phones. I created a survey using Google forms, and I was able to send it to all of my classmates through email. It was a very easy process! I asked the following questions in my survey:
  • How old were you when you got your first cell phone?
  • Which cell phone provider do you use?
  • Do you have internet access on your phone?
  • Do you use the texting feature on your phone?
  • How often do you use your cell phone during class?
  • Do you prefer texting or calling?
I received the following responses from 28 of my classmates:
  • The majority of students were 13-15 years old when they got their first cell phone.
  • 50% of students use At&t as their cell phone provider. 5 students use Verizon, and 5 students use T-Mobile. 2 responded saying they use Cellular South, and only 1 uses Alltel.
  • 14 students have internet access on their phones. 6 have internet access, but they don't use it. 8 students do not have internet access on their phones.
  • 27 students responded that they do use the texting feature on their phone. Only 1 student does not.
  • 6 students use their cell phone often during class. 7 students use it occasionally during class. 11 students rarely use it during class, and 4 students never use it in class.
  • 13 students prefer texting, and 4 students prefer calling. 11 students could not decide, and responded that they liked both texting and calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment