Saturday, January 23, 2010

Week 2 Blog : Due January 24, 2010

Social Media Counts

Gary Hayes' Social Media Counts are UNBELIEVABLE! The increase in the numbers is unreal. It's kind of hard to explain it all though because it seems so unbelievable; however, in our society, I believe it. I guess the unbelievable part about the entire thing is not that the numbers are actually increasing so rapidly, but that our society is actually to this point in technology. I am only 20 years old, and ,even in my lifetime, technology has made so many advancements. When I was in elementary school we did not own a computer. My family got our first computer when I was in 6th grade. I can't imagine life without one now! I don't know how my older brother survived high school with a type writer and word processor. I use the internet so often for research. I have probably completely forgotten how to use the reference center at the public library. When I was a young child, our librarian at school would always show us how to look up books in the public libraries using the index card reference system. Now, librarians are teaching students how to use the internet. It's crazy how quickly things have progressed!

A Vision of Students Today

This video does a very good job of representing the average student life at most colleges and universities today. This is my first semester at the University of South Alabama. I began my college career at Auburn University which is located in a very small town in eastern Alabama. Although the town is extremely small, the university is very popular. My first year of college consisted of many core curriculum classes. In these classes, there would be 300-450 students. This was very intimidating when coming from a high school classroom of maybe 25 students. While sitting in these crowded classrooms, I noticed that many people around me were checking emails or Facebook while the professor was lecturing. Are the large classes really beneficial? Teachers can't possibly monitor that many students at a time. While college students should be mature enough to come to class and learn, it takes a lot of self discipline to do so when alternatives are so easily accessible.
I suppose there are a few things I could add to this assessment about student life today. The main thing I've noticed since entering college is that the focus of lectures and class discussions is often only on information that will be on the test. Dr. Strange often refers to this method of teaching and learning as the "burp-back method." I agree completely. Teachers are assessed by the number of students that do well in their class. In order to improve their statistics, teachers focus on giving students good grades. Everyone knows a teacher can not simply give students good grades without proof that they earned them. This is where the burp-back method comes into play. If a teacher stands in front of a class and says, "This next sentence will be a question on the next test," how many students do you think will listen? The answer is all or most. The term test question triggers the ears of those students that are not listening intently to the professor. This allows them to get the information that will be on the test, but they do not benefit from anything else said in the classroom. This has been the main thing I've noticed about school these days.

It's Not About the Technology

I believe Ms. Hines makes some very good points. I also have to disagree with some of the points she made as well. I love the inspiration she gives for teachers to continue learning. This should not be a 21st century idea. No one knows everything. This means everyone has something to learn (teachers included). While today's children are often teaching teachers about technology, yesterday's children had their own valuable lessons to teach. There is so much you can learn from a child.
Ms. Hines also says that she doesn't think it's all about the technology. I agree that it's not ALL about it, but technology, whether we like it or not, is a big part of our society. While education should not revolve around technology, teachers should know how to benefit from the technology that's offered to them. Ms. Hines makes a very good point about wasting money on technology in the classroom that's never being used. Teachers should be learners. She says so herself. In my opinion, teachers should take the initiative to learn how to use this technology to benefit their students. While the technology cannot make you a good teacher, it can improve some methods of teaching. I believe the technology helps to bridge the gap between students and teachers. I know I have seen quite a few of my teachers and professors on Facebook. This allows a more personal relationship. While some may say that a personal relationship with your teacher is not beneficial, I don't think it hurts. It is very helpful to see your professor in another setting other than the classroom. I'm not saying that professors should invite their students to dinner or anything, but to see them involved with something you are, such as Facebook or Twitter, opens up a new relationship.

Is It OK to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I've been asking myself this question for some time now. I would not call myself technologically literate. I can make my way around a computer and the Internet, but there is so much out there that I can't do. Is this acceptable since I am going to school to be a teacher? I love the comparison made between technology today and reading 3o years ago. It was never acceptable to not know how to read, ESPECIALLY if you were a teacher! In this day and age, technology is easily compared to reading in its value in education.
I want to teach the 2nd grade or below when I begin my teaching career, and I really don't know that much about technology yet. Imagine a similar scenario 30 years ago. I want to be a 2nd grade teacher, but I just can't read that well. Would this be accepted? NO! As a younger elementary school teacher, there should be very little that the students know and you don't. When I was in high school, there were always those kids who liked to question the teacher. They had, perhaps, researched on the subject more or just happened to know more details. This very rarely happens in lower elementary grades. (At least to my knowledge.) Teachers need to keep up with the times. Technology is today's world, and we need to join it!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed all your posts this week. I am like you in the way I am not so much technologically literate but I get by as a normal computer user. I hope to get better at technology through the coarse of my college adventure. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea,

    I agree with your statement about the majority of teachers simply use the "burp back" method; however, their are many teachers who truly care about teaching their students. This is my first year at South, and last semester, I had both teachers. My communication teacher simply created powerpoints and read off them during class. She gave us a study guide for the test, and the test was exactly like the powerpoints. I really did not actually learn that much. Of course, I do remember most things, but I believe she just wanted all of us to pass her class. My English professors on the other hand, were quite different. Every class consisted of quizzes and discussions. We did not just talk about the text, but we engaged in deeper topics that allowed the conversation to grow. I learned so much from him, and I know I am a better student because of his desire for his students to learn. The first day he told us his job was to make us think and grow as people. He definitely does his job well.

    One thing I must address is your comment about bridging the gap between teachers and students by using Facebook and Twitter. You said that a personal relationship does not hurt and can be beneficial. While I believe it is important to be connected with our professors, we have to be careful to not cross the relationship line. I have always been a very open and friendly person, and I make an effort to get to know my professors. I figure if I am going to be spending an entire semester with them, I should know them to some extent. I attended a community college, and I really like my English professor. He was an excellent teacher, and I would go to his office for help and just talk to him, sometimes about my personal life, but I never went into depth. Just a few weeks ago, he contacted me on Facebook and told me that he felt like we had always had a connection. He said he really missed me and wanted to see me, so we could get to know each other on a different level. Although it has been over a year since I was in his class, he obviously thought I was interested. I did not think that I had done anything for him to feel this way, except for having a closer relationship to him. We have to be cautious when it comes to being friends with our professors. We cannot have the same type of relationship with them, and I honestly think by being friends with them on a social network, we are inviting them into our very personal life. I know you said you did not think they should invite a student to dinner; however, some professors may over think our innocent invitation into our personal lives. My point is that the relationships we have with our professors must be guarded and remain appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I definitely agree with you about the boundaries between teachers and students. I don't want it to come across otherwise. I guess I should have made it clearer when I said "personal relationship." I don't think it's appropriate to be friends with a teacher, at least not the kind of friends that hang out and have drinks or anything. I just feel that when you know something about a teacher other than the fact that they are your teacher, you feel more comfortable. I'm thinking of more of an elementary school or middle school situation I guess. My elementary school teachers always had a bulletin board at the beginning of the year that told the students all about them (pets, spouse, schools, hobbies, etc). This is the kind of personal relationship to which I was referring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly agree with you Chelsae and also with Jamie Lynn and Monica. Although I am not technologically literate, I am excited about taking this class to become better educated.

    Chelsae I really enjoyed reading your post and I also found the Media Count unbelievable. I totally agree with what you said about the burp back method and how the student pays attention to the professor when they say this will be on the test, I'm certainly guilty myself. I think your right and we should all be continuous learners especially as future educators.

    ReplyDelete